Share your latest news with fellow Broncos.

Class Notes | Obituaries

Submit a Class Note or Obituary »

Showing obituaries submitted in the last year by graduates in the 1960s


UGRD Leavey Business '60
David Ramm

David Ramm ’60 passed away on March 15, 2017 from mesothelioma. He was born in Seattle, Washington and moved to Hayward, California as a boy, graduating from Hayward High School after being awarded a four-year basketball scholarship to SCU. Following graduation, he began a 36-year career in Livermore, California teaching mostly middle and high school students, as well as coaching basketball, tennis, track, and flag football. He and his wife, Georgia, took many students on international tours—and as avid motorcyclists, toured the United States cross-country on their Harley. David served as president of the Livermore Education Association for three years prior to retiring to Lincoln Hills in Lincoln, California. He pursued hobbies like photography, ukulele, and birding, but his main interest was senior softball. Survivors include his wife and daughters Carla and Sherry.

submitted Mar. 28, 2017 8:42A


GRD Law '61
Michael Briski

Michael Briski J.D. ’61 lived the American Dream. He was born in the coal town of Van Houten, New Mexico, in 1936 to George and Zella Briski. The family moved to Mountain View in the early 1940s when Michael’s father decided that the next mine cave-in might be his last. He attended Mountain View High School and went to UC Berkeley, earning his undergraduate degree in history. It was there that he met the love of his life, Kathryn Bell. They were married on Sept. 7, 1958, and settled in Santa Clara. Michael served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War at a base in Yuma, Arizona, where he ran military justice. After his discharge in 1963, he returned to California and practiced law in the Bay Area for 40 years. With his wife, Kathy, he raised a family in Los Altos, where their backyard held the remnants of several “old valley” apricot trees. In 2002, at the age of 66, Michael retired to Palm Springs, where he and his wife spent the next 13 years enjoying each other’s company. While retirement was great, Michael missed his grandchildren and wanted to enjoy their company. He moved back to Santa Clara in 2015 and enjoyed the next two years watching his grandchildren grow, play sports, celebrate birthdays, and enjoy life. A well-regarded lawyer, he helped many clients attain justice. Though he loved the law, it was his wife and their 58-year marriage that reflected his true love. Michael passed away on July 31, 2017, and will be missed by his family. He is survived by his wife and sister, Zada Hordin, along with his son Kael (53), daughter Mika, (47) daughter-in-law Kay (53), and grandchildren Annika (16), Matthew (15), and Emily (10). He is predeceased by his mother, Zella, and father, George, and dear granddaughter Alexis Joy Briski, who passed in May of 2009 of childhood cancer at 11 years old. 

submitted Aug. 15, 2017 12:29P
UGRD Leavey Business '61
Jon E Jagger

Jon Edmund Jagger ’61, our beloved husband, father, Papa, and friend lost his battle with brain cancer on Saturday, February 11, 2017 at the age of 77. Born in Phoenix to James and Elizabeth (Billings) Jagger, Jon attended St. Matthews & St. Francis, Brophy Prep and Santa Clara University. Upon returning from college in 1961 Jon worked in the family farming business, Apache Distributors. He and his loving wife, Patti married in Phoenix and raised four devoted daughters. He was a devout Catholic and attended Mass every day, volunteered on the school board and was a supporter of his alma maters. His love of deep sea fishing, tennis, and keeping fit gave him great pleasure. His greatest happiness was spending time with his family and attending the many sporting events and school functions of his grandchildren. Jon is preceded in death by his parents; brother Robert and sisters Rosemary (Kane) and Jeanne (Moriarty). He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Patti (Timmons), daughters, Stephanie Gann ’89 (Steven), Kim Jagger ’91 (Peter), Katy Spencer ’90 (Todd), Shannon Burke (Patrick) and most especially his 11 grandchildren: Kylen, Corrin, Nicole, Sarah, Allison, Emily, Madison and TJ, John, Joe and Alex: also numerous nieces and nephews.

submitted Feb. 24, 2017 3:22P
Jeremiah Lynch

Jeremiah John Lynch II ’61 died peacefully in Boise, Idaho on Tuesday, Jan. 17, surrounded by his immediate family. He is survived by his high school sweetheart and loving wife of 55 years, Kathryn Berkeley Lynch and their five children: Jack Lynch, Kelly Lynch Tonkin, Jay Lynch, Kevin Lynch and Sally Lynch Randall ’91. He was known and loved as “Papa” by his 13 grandchildren. Jerry was born on Aug. 24, 1939 in Washington D.C. to John Emmet Lynch of Butte, Montana and Kessing Moroney Lynch of San Mateo, California. He grew up in San Mateo and attended St. Matthew Catholic School and Junipero Serra High School, class of ’57. Jerry graduated with the infamous class of ’61 from SCU. He was a proud Bronco! In 1965, he graduated from Hastings College of Law in San Francisco. Jerry and Katie settled in Foster City, California in 1968. There they raised their five children, and many others, until moving to Boise, Idaho in 2011 to be closer to their children and grandchildren. Jerry joined his father’s law firm, Wilson, Jones, Morton and Lynch, in San Mateo before forming Lynch and Nave in Burlingame, California. He had a great love for the law and was a trial attorney specializing in eminent domain and condemnation. Jerry was a huge family man and an avid sports enthusiast. He enjoyed hunting and fishing in the San Francisco Bay, Potter Valley, Half Moon Bay, Los Banos, the Butte Sink, Grizzly Island and Tule Lake. But most of all, he loved the people of Montana and spending time hunting and fishing with friends and family in the Big Hole Valley near his second home in Divide, Montana. Jerry’s life will be celebrated this summer in the Bay Area on a date to be determined.

submitted Feb. 11, 2017 1:26P
Desmond T. Coffee

A man who loved and served God, Desmond T. Coffee ’61 was born in Visalia, California, to Earl J. and Genevieve Coffee. His California legacy stretched back many generations, as his family had been early settlers of Madeira, California. He achieved Eagle Scout and enjoyed attending one of the big Boy Scout Jamborees held at the Irvine Ranch, which later became the Town of Irvine, California. During high school, he was active in student government and established a dance band. He spent many happy times playing music on his saxophone and piano. He graduated from Tulare Union High School as valedictorian of the class of 1956. He entered seminary in Oceanside, California, and spent a year there before transferring to Santa Clara University. He graduated in 1961, just in time to start his Navy career in Pensacola, Florida. Between flight school and advanced flight training in Texas, he married Tiblene Peace in 1961 in San Jose. He continued his career with two tours in Vietnam, flying as NFO in The A3 Sky Warrior jet, which was the largest plane to land on a carrier. He enjoyed the privilege aboard the aircraft carrier, Coral Sea, which was welcomed to Australia for the commemoration of the Battle of the Coral Sea. He was selected to complete his master’s program at American University in international relations, which was followed by a teaching tour at the U.S. Naval Academy. He served the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon on a special task force directed by President Carter. He retired from his Navy career in 1982 and started a new career with Sanders, later BAE, where he worked as a business development manager. When he retired in 2001, his retirement brought him another career as a full-time volunteer. He loved skiing, and spent 11 years as a ski and kayak instructor for the handicap program NEHSA at Mt. Sunapee. Des’ other passion was volunteering for Care Givers; he served as president of the board and spent time as a driver. He wanted so much to help make it possible for the elderly to stay in their homes with assistance. Des left for heaven surrounded by his family at home Wednesday July 19, 2017. He was predeceased by his son, Gavin Coffee, and survived by his wife, Tibby of 55 years; sister Eloise McPeters of Rocklin, California; daughter in-law Heidi Coffee of Seattle, Washington; daughter Deslene and Rob Ackerly of Spokane, Washington; son Brett and Rana Coffee of Seattle, Washington; son Ian and Stefanie Coffee of Las Vegas, Nevada; daughter Alicia Coffee and partner Stacey Blodgett of Concord, New Hampshire; daughter Shannon and Brendon Collins of Melrose, Massachusetts; and 16 grandchildren. 

submitted Aug. 7, 2017 1:20P


Sam Eastman

Samuel Palmer Eastman III '62, 76, passed away peacefully on September 24, following a brief illness. Born in Woodside CA, he attended Bellarmine High School and later graduated from Santa Clara University. Sam was well known for his extraordinary work ethic as the owner of Monterey County Petroleum. There wasn't a hand he wouldn't shake, a dollar he wouldn't give to someone in need, or a person he would ever look down on. He gave every spare moment to his family, his community, his friends and his beloved Fiddleback Ranch. He lived his life for his wife, kids and grandkids and gave them everything in the world. If you've been to the California Rodeo, you have seen him, in his silver felt cowboy hat and director's shirt. Sam joined the California Rodeo Committee in 1964, serving as Chair of the Announcing Committee, Chair of the Nomination Committee, Director, and as President from 1990-1991. Sam is survived by his wife of 54 years, Gigi Eastman, two sons, Brent Eastman (Maureen) and Tim Eastman (Alex) and two daughters, Casey Ridell (Brian) and Halley Eastman. He has 12 grandchildren, Amanda, Sam, Cammie, Ben, Brent (Jr), Devin, Erin, Quinn, Ashton, Georgie, Cheyenne and Gatlin. He is also survived by his sister June Pausback of Aspen Colorado. 

submitted Dec. 7, 2016 1:42P
Roy Schoepf

Roy Francis Schoepf II ’62 devoted his life to God through his Catholic faith, his family, and his community. A retired U.S. Coast Guard commander, he died on Aug. 17, 2017, and is survived by his loving wife, Diane, four children, and eight grandchildren. He was an amazing man and will be greatly missed by all who were blessed to know him.

submitted Aug. 23, 2017 11:56A


UGRD Engineering '64
Jack Macy

Jack Macy ’64 wasn’t long out of SCU when he was charged with helping to assure that in the event of a major earthquake, the Transbay Tube on the bottom of San Francisco Bay would not fail—and the BART cars wouldn’t hit the sides. When the Loma Prieta earthquake struck in 1989, he was living and working in Santa Rosa and elated that the tube withstood the shock. The engineer wrote years later, “It is still a good feeling to know that, even with our somewhat primitive tools and unproven theory, we had done the job right.”

Jack would study a client’s concept for a public works or development project and in little time size up what it would take to get it built. Over the course of his 40-year career, he contributed much to planning and development issues and projects throughout Sonoma County. Highlights included his role in plans for developing Windsor prior to its incorporation as a town in 1992, and the engineering he did for large-scale residential developments such as Lakewood Hills in Windsor, Country Club Estates in Petaluma, and the Parkside project in Santa Rosa. In contrast to the stereotypical view of an engineer, Jack also loved people and placed great emphasis on personal communication.

Born in San Mateo in 1942, he was attending Serra Catholic High School when he met the former Jacky Musetti. The two dated while Jack was a civil engineering student, marrying in 1964. Shortly after he earned his degree, Jack accepted a job and went to work on the plans for BART’s under-bay tunnel. He wrote in his biographical pamphlet that a few years later he and Jacky had two children and “were outgrowing our 900-square-foot starter home and found prices in San Mateo beyond our reach.” After searching the Bay Area for a job and an affordable home, he accepted a position as project engineer on a major water-system project for the city of Sebastopol. The family settled in Santa Rosa in 1968. Three years later, Jack moved to the Santa Rosa engineering firm of Mitchell and Heryford, later becoming a partner and ultimately the owner. In 1996, he and Carlile merged their firms to create Carlile Macy. Carlile said they made a good team. “I was slower, deliberate. He was quick to get an answer, so it was perfect.” Deeply involved in the community, Jack served on the advisory panel to the county General Plan and on the Santa Rosa Design Review Board and the county Transportation Authority Citizens’ Advisory Committee. He was active with the Prince Memorial Greenway Project, Sonoma County Citizens for Traffic Relief, North Coast Builders Exchange, Sonoma County Alliance, Santa Rosa Chamber of Commerce, Catholic Charities, the Lions Club, Holy Spirit Catholic Church, and other organizations.

After he and Carlile sold their business and retired in 2004, Jack dedicated more time to traveling with Jacky in their recreational vehicle, enjoying his children and grandchildren and expanding his garden railroad. He said once, “My greatest pride in life is our family. If I am only remembered as a good engineer, I have done a poor job in the other areas of my life.” Jack, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer only four months ago, died Aug. 2. He was 75. In addition to his wife in Santa Rosa and his daughter in Orange County, he is survived by daughter Michelle Lenney of Windsor, son Greg Macy of Santa Rosa, sister Cathy Macy of Sonoma, and by eight grandchildren and two great-granddaughters.

submitted Aug. 15, 2017 12:00P
GRD Leavey/MBA '64
J. Paul Heinzinger

J. Paul Heinzinger MBA ’64 was many things: friend, husband, father, papa, brother, teacher, carpenter/mechanic, engineer, manager—and always quick to lend a hand. Paul was a devout Catholic. He showed how to be a Christian by living the Gospels through his acts of kindness, putting others before himself, doing the right thing even when hard, and showing care even in simple day-to-day situations. He was happiest when with family or serving others. Born in Seattle on Dec. 11, 1924, to John Paul and Nina Heinzinger, he graduated from O’Dea High School and immediately went to serve in World War II, first at Pan Am and then in the U.S. Navy as an aviation radioman. He later earned an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from Seattle University in 1954, a master’s in electrical engineering from Stanford University in 1956, and a master’s in business administration from Santa Clara University in 1964. Paul worked for Pitney Bowes, Lockheed, ITT Berack Electronics, and Ford/Loral Aerospace. In 1957, he married Mary Lou Ryan, and together they raised four children. Paul was a dedicated father who always made his family the priority; he sacrificed career opportunities and recreational activities for his wife and children. He never tried to force his children to live his dreams but supported them to explore their own dreams. His love, guidance, and support gave them the confidence and courage to take their own paths in life. He loved being involved with his children, Boy Scouts, Catechism, sailing, flea markets, riding bikes, and completing projects. Paul was an accomplished amateur radio operator, sailor, wood worker, and handyman. Paul and Mary Lou lived in California until their retirement to Marrowstone Island in 1990. During retirement, he greatly enjoyed finishing their home, having coffee with the men, square dancing with Mary Lou, having family and friends visit their Island home, and being an active part of his grandchildren’s lives. He was always sharing his talents and helping others by volunteering for United Neighbors, ECHHO, local organizations, and numerous Marrowstone Island groups, as well as always being ready to help a friend with a project. In 2011, Paul and Mary Lou moved to Spokane, Washington. He passed away peacefully with his daughters by his side on June 18, 2017. In addition to Mary Lou, his wife of 59 years, Paul is survived by his son Mark (Kathleen) of Modesto, California; Greg (Kerstin and grandchildren Cassandra and Talia) of Del Mar, California; Nina (Dave and grandchildren Miriam, Peter, and Matthew) of Helena, Montana; and Rita (Jim and grandchildren Cooper, Becca, and Hunter) of Spokane, Washington. He is also survived by his sister-in-laws Gladys Heinzinger of Marrowstone Island, Jean Oxley of Laramie, Wyoming, and Marjory Ryan of Cheyenne, Wyoming, as well as numerous nieces and nephews. Paul is preceded in death by his parents, his sisters Ruth and Mabel, and his brothers Grant, Lee, and David. 

submitted Aug. 7, 2017 12:55P


GRD Law '65
Jerome “Jerry” Smith
Jerry with his statue of St. Ignatius

Jerome “Jerry” Albert Smith ’58, J.D. ’65 died peacefully at his home in Saratoga on Sunday, May 7, due to complications associated with prostate cancer. Jerry was born July 28, 1936, in San Jose. He is survived by his loving wife, Jane Decker, brother Albie, and his children with Kevil Smith, Tim (Mary Beth), Steve (MaryBeth), Peter (Sandy), and Maggie (Bobby), as well as grandchildren Katherine, Elizabeth, Michael, Matthew, Anthony, Francesca, Hannon, Emily, Taylor, Mason, Hanna, and Bo. Jerry’s beloved daughter, Caitlin (Pete), predeceased him as did his sister, Sheila.

Jerry was blessed to have shared in the lives of Jane’s children—Leslie (Chris), Mark (Nalin), and Brooke (Chuck)—as well as their beautiful children. Jerry also had many dear and loyal friends who embraced him with affection throughout his life. 

Jerry began his education at St. Patrick’s Parochial School in San Jose before attending Bellarmine College Preparatory (Go Bells!). He received both his B.S. in history and philosophy and J.D. from SCU. He later received his Master of Laws degree (1990) from the University of Virginia.

Jerry began practicing law in San Jose in 1966 with the Ruffo Law Firm. Inspired by President John F. Kennedy, Jerry entered politics and was elected to the Saratoga City Council in 1968. In 1972, he became the Mayor of Saratoga. In 1974, and again in 1978, Jerry was elected to represent the 12th Senatorial District in the California Legislature. His most notable legislation included the California Coastal Act that preserves the California coastline, the Victims of Crime Act that provides assistance to victims of violent crime, and the California Conservation Corps Act, which provides training and work opportunities for young people with an emphasis on conserving and enhancing natural resources. 

In 1979, Jerry was appointed associate justice to the California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District in San Francisco, and served on the bench until his retirement in 1996. Thereafter, Jerry acted as a legal specialist for the American Bar Association and Eastern European Legal Institute, where he assisted the Constitution Court of Georgia in Tbilisi, Georgia, in establishing the formation of an independent and well-trained judiciary and bar association.

Upon his retirement from the bench, Jerry pursued his artistic talents, honing his skills as a sculptor at the San Jose State University foundry. His public artwork includes life-size sculptures of Father Bellarmine and St. Ignatius of Loyola at Bellarmine College Prep, a bust of architect Julia Morgan at the Saratoga Foothill Club, and the bronze relief honoring Latino day workers titled “Los Jornaleros.” Jerry’s last art piece, a sculpture of iconic Saratogans Willys and Betty Peck, is due to be installed in August 2017. 

A native son of the Santa Clara Valley, Jerry drew strength from his Catholic faith. He will be remembered for his intellect, humor, and passion for politics and the arts. But his legacy will be his loved ones, both family and friends, and the considerable impact he had on their lives. 

Contributions may be made to the Anne Hannon Smith Endowed Scholarship c/o Santa Clara University Law School, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053.

submitted Jun. 15, 2017 9:55A


William Glennon

On January 8, 2017, William Edward Glennon J.D. ’66 passed away. He was born Guillermo Gonzalez on January 20, 1918 in St. Louis, Missouri to Spanish immigrants Jesus Gonzalez and Maria Alvarez. Bill developed an early love of soccer and played with the St. Louis Nationals who won the U.S. Amateur title in 1939. In 1940, Bill joined the United States Navy and served on the battleship New Mexico on the West Coast and was later the head signalman on the island of Espiritu Santo in the South Pacific during World War II. After the war, Bill found himself back in San Francisco, California where he continued his courtship of Sue Raney. The two married on November 24, 1945 and remained married for 71 years until his death.

After a brief time in St. Louis, the couple relocated to Saratoga, California. Bill helped organize the city’s incorporation and served eight years as its second mayor. During his tenure as mayor, he helped establish Hakone Gardens. Bill also ran two paper box companies: San Jose Paper Box and Laminated Paper Products. He helped organize and became the first President of the Santa Clara County Inter City Council, which LAFCO later replaced. In 1966, Bill received his Doctorate in Law from Santa Clara Law School and worked as a business and estate lawyer first with the firm of Rae, Frasse, Anastasi, Clark and Lewis, and later Clark and Glennon. He practiced law for 27 years and Santa Clara County named him Lawyer of the Year in 1984. Always surrounded by books, and passionate about education and helping others, he established The Glennon Foundation which provided monetary support to hundreds of young dreamers wanting a college education.

In retirement, he and Susie traveled extensively, visiting every continent except Australia, while also spending time at their second home in Palm Desert, California. Bill was an avid golfer his entire life and played his last round shortly after his 97th birthday. His early love of soccer led him to become one of the first investors in the 1974 NASL San Jose Earthquakes. In 1979, he organized a Saratoga runners club where he helped locals train for marathons. Bill ran and completed the New York Marathon in 1980 at the age of 62. He was an ardent sports fan through his life, rooting for all the Bay Area teams, and he loved watching Sunday football games with family. Blessed with luck up until the end, Bill even won the championship of his 2016 NFL pick’em pool.

By far, Bill felt his greatest accomplishments in life were his family and many friends. To everyone who knew him, Bill was one of the most generous, upbeat, intelligent and enjoyable of men. His sense of humor, shading towards the mischievous, was infamous and his pure joy for life was infectious. Bill is survived by his wife Sue; his children, Tim (Cheri), Will (Ary), Renee (Paul Jacobs J.D. ’71), Rachele, and Brian; his grandchildren Damian, Sarah (Chris), Shelly, Andrew (Lydia), Caitlin, Ian and unofficial grandson Adam Weiskal; his great-grandchildren Lily, Daphne and Mackenzie, and by a large, loving collection of friends all of whom will miss mightily his presence in the world.

submitted Feb. 11, 2017 1:39P
Peggy Wicker

Peggy Elizabeth Wicker (Enright) '66 resident of Anaheim Hills, passed away at her home in July 2016 after a long struggle with cancer. Peggy was born in San Diego to Dr. William and Marjorie Enright in 1944. She was an elementary school teacher in Orange County for 35 years and was a published author. Peggy is survived by her son, Michael Wicker, and her brothers, William Enright '63 and John Enright. She enjoyed cruising around the world and was always excited to share her plans for her next great adventure. (Partially from The Orange County Register July 14, 2016.)

submitted Oct. 1, 2016 8:12A
GRD Engineering '66
George Drazic

George Drazic M.S. '66 lived in Capitola, California after he retired from a career working in the Aerospace Industry. He worked for several aerospace companies including Convair and Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.. He spent the last 25 years of his career working on top secret "Black Programs". He was an expert "structures" engineer on the 50 foot diameter parabolic radio antennas for spy satellites.

submitted Nov. 29, 2016 1:28P
Donald Clendenning

Donald Clendenning M.S., '66  passed away on August 9, 2016, in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Donald Campbell Clendenning began his life on April 20, 1931 in Gananoque Ontario. During his one year battle with Cancer he approached each day with the same inner strength that had guided his life full of hope and confidence that bright days were ahead. Don had a very fulfilling life and will be greatly missed by all who were touched by his love. Don was preceded in death by his three older brothers: Kenneth, Leonard, and Gerald. He is survived by his wife of 62 years Carolyn King Clendenning, formerly of Orillia and Cochrane Ontario. His is also survived by his three children: Doug Clendenning (Janet) Atherton California, Patty Nelson (Jim) Phoenix Arizona, and Donna Kasabian (Ron) Lake Oswego Oregon. In addition there are 7 seven grandchildren who he cherished time with: Kelly and Patrick Clendenning; Christian, Nicholas and Peter Nelson; and Andrew and Katie Kasabian. Don graduated from Queens University in Kingston Ontario with a BS in Engineering Physics in 1954 and a Master's Degree from University of Santa Clara in Electrical engineering in 1967. Don's brothers and his wife Carolyn also graduated from Queens University. Don and family came to Willow Glen in 1961 where they lived for 50 years while he built his career with Lockheed Missiles and Space. During the 32 years at Lockheed he designed flight control systems for missiles followed by greater responsibility around managing teams of engineers in the guidance and control division. He was affectionately known as a Rocket Scientist who directed the development of missile systems capable of detecting, intercepting and destroying incoming ballistic missiles out of the atmosphere. These projects had names like HOE, ERIS and Thad and took him to various places like the Kwajalein Islands to participate in missile launches. Don had many interests but foremost was his love of family. Family was the priority. Throughout the years he would be at his kids events whether baseball, softball, or dance and when needed he would coach and or volunteer in whatever way possible. Other major interests were camping, skiing, tennis (he played doubles into his early 80s) hiking, Hockey games (sharks), reading, bird watching and education. Once retired, they enjoyed trips to Hawaii and frequent cruises around the world. Don will be remembered for many things but love of family and the priority it was in his life will never be far from our hearts.


submitted Oct. 4, 2016 9:47A
Barbara Armor

Barbara Grant Kangas Armor ’66 passed away after a courageous battle with cancer on January 16, 2017. She was born on April 21, 1944 in Los Angeles, to Lib and John Grant. After spending most of her childhood in Bakersfield, Calif., she graduated in 1962 from Santa Catalina School in Monterey, and in 1966 from Santa Clara University. She was a teacher in Monterey when she met John Kangas, whom she married in September 1969.

After a few years on the East Coast, Barbara moved to Springville in 1980 and became very involved in her local community. She was a soccer coach and Springville 4-H leader when her children were young, a substitute teacher at Springville School and Porterville High School for more than 20 years, a past president of the Porterville High School Booster Club and, most recently, an active member of the Las Madrinas Guild supporting Valley Children's Hospital. Barbara also served on the alumnae board of Santa Catalina School for more than 10 years, for which she received the school’s Distinguished Alumnae Award.

More than anything, she loved spending time with family, friends, and her dogs in the mountains at Doyle Springs. There, in 1997, she reconnected with her close childhood friend Bill Armor, and they married in December of that year.

Barbara is survived by her husband, Bill, her daughter Jakie Kangas Beard (Dan), her son Kurt Kangas, her grandson John Robert Beard, her siblings Joanna Grant Hartigan (Wayne) and John Edward Grant, Jr., four nieces and nephews, and six grandnieces and grandnephews. She also is survived by Bill’s children, Christina Armor, AnneLisa Armor Butcher (Brad), and Andrew Armor (Tori), and by two grandsons, James and Charles Butcher.

submitted Feb. 11, 2017 1:18P


UGRD Leavey Business '67
Patricia Fierro

Patricia Blake Fierro ’67 was born Nov. 8, 1934, in Santa Clara to Frank J. and Alice Roscoe Blake. Her father, a graduate of Harvard Law School, practiced law in San Francisco. He later joined his brother, Leslie, as co-publisher of the Santa Clara Journal. As the youngest of five siblings, “Patty” was the beloved baby of the family. Brothers Robert, Frank, and Tommy and sister Mary Alice preceded her in death. Patricia married Arthur Fierro in San Jose in 1953. They had three children: John, Carole, and Scott. Later, she and Art would divorce. While raising her three children, she graduated from SCU. Patty began working for Santa Clara County in 1968 as an accountant for the County Parks and Recreation Department. In the early 70s, she transferred to Valley Medical Center, where she served as assistant personnel officer and employee relations representative. She was appointed deputy county executive for employee relations in 1980 at the age of 46. Her promotion made her one of the highest-ranking women in county government. In 1987, she was named Woman of Achievement in Government and Politics in Santa Clara. That same year, she attended the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.

Pat retired in October 1992 after 24 years of service to Santa Clara County and the State of California. She left her career in public service well-respected and distinguished. She moved to Bigfork, Montana, to be close to her family. Patty loved her life in Montana and rarely missed one of the grandkid’s football, basketball, volleyball, or tennis games. She was well known and adored as “Grandma Pat” by almost everyone who knew her. She valued education and was a member of the Bigfork School Board from 1997 to 2006. She also loved golf, watching the latest television series and movies, was an avid reader, and loved politics. On June 13, Patty passed away at her home in Bigfork. She leaves with each of us her unconditional love, value of family, generosity, kindness, and wisdom, which will be carried on for generations to come. Surviving Pat are her son, John Fierro and wife Stacey of Sacramento, daughter Carole and husband Larry Hill of Bigfork, and son Scott Fierro and wife Doe of Bigfork; 10 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren.

submitted Jul. 10, 2017 11:46A
Larry Henninger

 Larry Henninger, M.B.A. '64 died peacefully in the Skilled Nursing Facility at the Vi in Palo Alto on April 11, at age 83. He was born on Jan. 12, 1933, in Roseburg, Oregon. One of his biggest adventures as a teenager was attending the International Boy Scout Jamboree in France in 1945, an unusual opportunity to see Europe while it was still recovering from WWII. He graduated from Stanford in 1954 with a B.A. in economics. During his Stanford days he was president of Theta Xi fraternity and was a sponsor in the freshman dorm, Encina. It was in this role he met Amber '71, M.A. '80, who was a sponsor in the freshman women's dorm, Roble. They married in 1954 in Menlo Park.

He was in Air Force ROTC and left immediately after graduation to report to Texas. After his initial training, he was sent to Lakenheath/Mildenhall in England where Amber joined him in 1955 after her graduation. They used this time abroad to travel whenever possible, seeing much of Europe before it was a common destination. After coming back to the States in 1956, they returned to Palo Alto and Larry began his career in 1956, in what was then called Personnel, at Litton Industries. His next employer was Philco and he worked in finance there during its transition to Philco/Ford. After that, he was the business person in the team Peter McCuen put together to start Acurex -- Larry and 17 engineers. He continued in this role in Barron Data Systems in San Leandro until the 1980s when he went into his own business as a consultant for small businesses. These clients presented very special opportunities for him to use his skills in helping people define the role they and their companies should play in the fast emerging electronics industry.

Larry was in one of the first classes in the part-time night MBA program at Santa Clara University. Though he felt he was not an academic, he enjoyed the program for its mix of students who often were more versed in the application of the material while the professors knew the theory. Convinced of the value of the program, he served on the Business School Advisory Board for several years. He also started at Santa Clara the CEO Forum, a group of small company CEOs who met monthly to share their issues in the role of CEO, an opportunity available only when there is personal trust built within the group. What Larry liked most was helping people find how they might be all that they could be. Whether that was with clients, friends or family -- whether in long conversations over dinner, in formal meetings or phone calls in time of difficulties -- Larry was there to listen.

In the consulting role Larry had the opportunity to spend four years as liaison with the Chambre du Commerce de Haute Normandie, in Rouen, France, trying to find ways to facilitate relationships between Rouen and Silicon Valley. In the early 1990s, through USAID, he participated in a project to try to share his enthusiasm for entrepreneurship in Russia as they began to transition from Communism. With the lack of understanding for the basic personal attitudes to enable the transition, after 40 years of Communism, his skills were well utilized in companies with less than 200 people. It was a great disappointment to see how the current Russia has been reverting to its old lifestyle. Nevertheless, he has retained lasting friendships with his Russian contacts.

In the community, Larry was a member of Rotary and very active in what was then the Stanford Area Council Boy Scouts. He was on the Executive Committee as well as in leadership roles in the troops to which his sons belonged. He received the Silver Beaver Award from the Council. He also led several council troops to National Jamborees on the East Coast.He was a devoted follower, win or lose, of Stanford football and men's basketball. He believed Stanford athletes were unique in their focus -- focus necessary to try to mesh academic, athletic and personal lives. Involvement with Hoover Institution also was most rewarding, particularly with the National Security Affairs Fellows Program and the annual classes of military and State Department personnel with whom he thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to interact.

He was very proud of his sons, Dwight and Derek, truly pleased that they had grown, each in their own ways, to be contributing members of society as he had hoped. Larry and Amber had 61 years of shared opportunities and pleasures. In the '80s and '90s, they spent considerable time at Incline Village at Tahoe, enjoying the mountains and their friends there. In recent times Larry's health had made that less possible.

submitted Oct. 4, 2016 12:47P
David Colby

Loving father and husband, David H. Colby ’59, M.S. ’67 passed away on December 24, 2016 surrounded by his family after suffering many years with Parkinson’s disease. David was born on February 12, 1931 and was raised in the Oakland Bay Area. Dave served in the Navy during the Korean Conflict. He finished his degree in electrical engineering at Santa Clara University in 1959 and spent his career in electron beam engineering. Dave married Judith Titus whom he always called “his bride,” and together they raised two children in Fremont. Six grandchildren added joy to his life. Dave was known for his wonderful attitude, sense of humor, and his generous spirit in splitting everything in half to share. Like his mother, a history buff, he compiled his father’s stories from WW1. He also wrote his early memories living in San Leandro as well as stories from the Navy years, all to share with his children. He was a man with a song always in his heart and would sing a lyric that related to any moment. Dave’s humor had a practical side—with his kids, he always asked about the “three fluids of life”: car oil, financial liquidity, and how’s your gut? He fixed breakfast every morning for his family and was called “Dr. Dave” by many for his ability to fix small wounds or bigger problems. If you knew him you were lucky. David is survived by his wife, Judy Colby of Fremont, Sarah Colby Stueckle and family of Ventura County and Steve Colby and family of Vancouver, British Columbia.

submitted Feb. 11, 2017 1:21P


William Satariano

William Anthony “Bill” Satariano ’68, a revered and beloved professor of public health at UC Berkeley, whose work helped aging people lead healthier lives, died on May 28. He was 70. Bill enjoyed a distinguished career of nearly 30 years at Berkeley studying aging, cancer rehabilitation, the effects of the environment on health, and the benefits of physical activity for older people. He authored two books and more than 100 academic papers. He was a Fulbright scholar, held the university’s endowed chair of geriatrics, and was principal investigator for research projects with the National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and American Cancer Society. He won awards for his teaching and took pride in the success of his students. Born Dec. 12, 1946, to Anthony and Mary Satariano, Bill grew up in San Jose. Early on, Bill demonstrated a passion for learning. During long study sessions alone in his room, his aunts pleaded with him to come join the family because “your head is going to explode.” He was the first in his family to attend college at SCU, earning a degree in sociology. He credits the late Witold Krassowsky, the first sociologist at SCU and founder of the department, for spawning his career in sociology and public health. He went on to Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where he earned a doctorate. At Purdue, Bill met Enid Reichard, who had an office down the hall. They married in 1972 and had two children, Erin and Adam. Bill’s career took the family to New York, where he taught at Alfred University, and then to Berkeley for two postgraduate degrees. The family spent 10 years in Detroit, Michigan, where Bill served as a deputy director at the Michigan Cancer Foundation and the family developed many lifelong friendships. Bill was lured back to UC Berkeley in 1989 to join the faculty in the School of Public Health. He was a strong proponent of “aging in place,” designing walkable communities that better integrate older populations. Bill embraced technology and with colleagues developed techniques to use mobile devices, not only to help older people be more physically active, but to empower them to conduct their own assessments of neighborhood walkability and identify risks that could then be rectified. “His life’s work led to an immeasurable number of older people living healthier, happier, and longer lives,” the university said in a statement. Bill was a dedicated and inspiring teacher. He codirected the concurrent masters program in public health and city planning and directed the hugely popular undergraduate major in public health, ranked the top program in the country. According to colleagues, Bill was always the first to volunteer for challenging assignments. He transformed a traditional community health lecture course to a highly interactive class in which students, working in teams, got hands-on experience planning for public health emergencies. The course attracted ever-increasing enrollments and earned Bill a prestigious university award for innovation in teaching. For all of Bill’s professional accomplishments, he considered family his greatest achievement. Bill and Enid shared a love for bookstores, movies, theater, and the arts. They travelled widely, with trips to Europe and Australia, regular hikes at Gold Lake, and a final visit to London together last year. Bill, known for his quick wit and self-effacing humor, eagerly shared stories of his children and grandchildren, whose activities brought him tremendous joy. He had an easy and laugh-filled relationship with his children, and he took great interest in all their pursuits. His family will forever miss his unwavering love. Bill died surrounded by family at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek, California, from an infection and kidney failure. He is survived by his wife, Enid, and two children, Erin Schwass (Ken) ’95 of Chicago and Adam Satariano (Nickie) of London, England; sisters Marilynn Wacker (John) and Patricia Tallerico (Frank); brothers-in-law Claude Reichard (Susanna) and Eric Reichard (Pamela); grandchildren George and Nate Schwass and Leo and Kai Satariano; and nieces, nephews, and cousins. 

submitted Jun. 22, 2017 12:03P
William Baber

William Hugh Baber III '68, J.D. '71, a retired attorney, pilot and family man, passed away on Monday, October 24th at age 69. Bill was born and raised in Willows, California graduating Willows High School in 1964. At Willows High, he played baseball (catcher), basketball and football, where he was a proud "Willows Honker." As a teenager, Bill spent many weekends playing golf at the Glenn Golf and Country Club. Growing up in Willows, Bill loved to spend time with his father and grandfather on their nearby ranches. His father, William H. Baber, Jr., was a well respected sheep rancher and past president of the California Wool Growers Association. Bill was very proud of his father's military service in defending our country as a lead Bombardier in WWII. Bill's grandfather, Hugh Baber, managed the Llano Seco Rancho in Butte County and was inducted into the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City in 1971. "Hugh Baber Lane" at the Llano Seco was named in his honor. Bill's mother, Suzanne La Force Baber, was a shining star in his life. A classical pianist from Midland, Texas, Sue started the Junior League in Willows and played the piano and organ at the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. She was much beloved by her husband and two sons, Bill and his brother, Clark. Bill was also very close with his family in Texas. Watson La Force, his maternal grandfather, was a renowned businessman in the independent oil and gas industry. His efforts for the community of Midland's flying transportation work resulted in the current development and operation of the Midland International Terminal. Watson too had a street named after him, "La Force Blvd." When Bill was growing up, his grandfather and grandmother would take him for rides in their twin engine Cessna. Bill always attributed his love of flying to his grandfather. In 1968, Bill graduated from Santa Clara University with a degree in Political Science. He went on to attain a law degree from Santa Clara Law School in 1971 following his clerkship in a large law firm in Midland, Texas. In college and law school, Bill had a very special group of friends. There were always many fun stories and a lot of laughs following their fly fishing, hunting and golfing adventures. Following passing the State Bar on December 7, 1971, Bill practiced law with the Minasian Law Firm in Oroville, California for 32 years. His practice included water rights, civil litigation and business law. As a young litigator, Bill brought a case, "Royal Globe," before the California Supreme Court and won. In 1974, Bill moved to Chico and started his family. He loved to take his family skiing: Squaw Valley, Snow Mass, Aspen and Vail were some of his favorite ski resorts. Bill's children started skiing at age three. Because of his very adventurous spirit, Bill encouraged his family to ski the black diamond slopes, ski the powder through the trees and helicopter ski. Bill was an avid pilot and loved to fly for both business and pleasure. He received his private pilot's license in 1979, the year his son, Scott, was born. Flying his family to the Nut Tree for breakfast and taking the train to the restaurant was one of Bill's favorite flying trips. Physical activities and sports with family and friends were always a passion for Bill. He really enjoyed duck and pheasant hunting with his son and Uncle Jack in Colusa as well as fly fishing with his family in Deer Creek and Alaska. Golf, snow skiing, water skiing, tennis and jogging through Bidwell Park were some of Bill's favorite pastimes. Most every Sunday, Bill attended St. John's Episcopal Church with Father Richard Yale. He felt blessed to be part of a loving, positive church community. Bill's zest for life and contagious laugh will always be remembered. He was very grateful to spend special time with his children and grandchildren. Bill is survived by his two children, Kelly Kristine Nelson and Scott Baber; his four grandchildren; his Uncle Jack Baber; his nephew Mike Baber, and his niece, Melissa Baber; his aunt and uncle, Watson and Patti La Force and four cousins, including  Jack "Jon" Baber M.B.A. '86

submitted Dec. 7, 2016 1:44P
Robert J. Fatica

Generous, deeply loving, and entirely a “Visalian” at heart, Robert John Fatica ’68 (aka R.J. Bobo, Bob, and Bobby)was born on Jan. 17, 1946, in Visalia, California, to John and Dorothy Fatica. He was a bright tornado of light who shined, and Mama Fatica said when Bob would come home he was a tornado on stage, eating, cajoling and entertaining… then he was gone. He attended George McCann School, graduated from Redwood High School, attended College of the Sequoia’s, and continued on to receive a degree in accounting at Santa Clara. Bob was a self-employed CPA for 45 years. As a CPA, he was a genius and designed his office to work around his clients in every one of his offices. He was clever that way and wanted every client to have the fullest experience. Although proud of “good works,” Bob did not require accolades. Throughout his life, as early as high school, he just did what was on his heart. If one was fortunate to be at the right place and time, “Bobby” would buy sets of tires, finance nursing school for someone who rescued him and his friends off the 99, or pay for not one but two young people to have eye surgery. Bob served as board president for the Visalia Rescue Mission for three years during its time of transition into what it is today. He also served on numerous boards and anonymously helped many organizations and individuals, including securing the acquisition of the Fox Theatre, known today as Friends of the Fox. Bob married his best friend and love, Susan, whom he considered the yin to his yang and teeter to his totter. Mama Fatica once told Bob that he had met his match in Susan. Together, they conquered their huge mountain of life. Travel, music, sharing, caring, kids, grandkids, family, fun, tears, joy, sadness, spontaneity, distractibility—Bob was the real bigger-than-life deal. Bobby entered the gates of heaven on July 5, 2017, in Visalia at the age of 71. His final days were spent surrounded by family and close friends that he’d touched throughout his very memorable and huge life. Bob is survived by his wife, Susan; children Ryan Fatica and wife Monica and James Mazzotta and wife Yvonne; grandsons Jeremy, Zachary, Cameron, Gianno, Nico, and Corrado; sister Dorothy Del Col and husband Aldo; niece Christina and husband Jake; nephew David Del Col; great-niece and nephews Shyla, Jacob, and Jackson; and many more extended family members.

submitted Jul. 24, 2017 2:51P
GRD Engineering '68
John Hinds

John A. Hinds M.S. ’68 was born on July 1, 1936, in La Jolla, California, to parents Joseph and Enid Hinds. He graduated from La Jolla High School, Pomona College, and SCU. He was commissioned in the U.S. Navy and served in the naval reactors program. His subsequent work in the nuclear power, international construction, telecommunications, international marketing and sales, and general international management took him around the world for over 30 years. In these capacities, he became a vice president of General Electric, president of AT&T International, and executive vice president of Verifone. He also served three years as the president of the International Standards Organization (ISO) based in Geneva. He was a member of golf clubs in New Jersey, Oregon, and Ironwood in Palm Desert, California. John was also an avid fly fisherman, an occasional upland bird hunter, and enjoyed the study and tasting of fine wines. He and his wife enjoyed extensive international travel, with Italy being a favorite destination. They enjoyed homes in New Canaan, Connecticut; Lake Oswego, Oregon; Bernardsville, New Jersey; Palm Desert; San Jose; and San Francisco; among other locations. John passed away on May 2, 2017 surrounded by family. Survivors include his loving wife of 57 years, Carol L. Hinds, his much loved daughters, Tracy Connelly (Ben) and Kelly Michelsen (Chris), his brothers, David and Martin, his sister, Sara, and five grandchildren. 

submitted Aug. 7, 2017 2:39P


Maryanne Dengler

Maryanne Nilmeier Dengler ’69 lived a full life with family, friends, and career, enjoying gardening, flower arranging and singing soprano in choir. Her life ended Dec. 5, 2015, when she died peacefully at home after a 4-year struggle with brain cancer. The disease robbed her of her ability to move or speak toward the end of her cancer journey, so her death was a release from suffering and being trapped in her body.

submitted Jul. 24, 2017 2:40P
GRD Law '69
Bruce Foulds Stewart

Bruce Foulds Stewart J.D. ’69 was born in Detroit, Michigan. He received an MBA from the University of Southern California in 1958. Bruce worked at Lockheed Missile & Space until he graduated from SCU. He was a sole practitioner in Palo Alto until 1976, when he moved to Sacramento and worked as general counsel for Sacramento Savings & Loan. He later served as general counsel for several large commercial real estate developers until his retirement. He was an active member of the Folsom Rotary Club, an avid gardener, and enjoyed boating. Bruce died on June 1. He is survived by his wife, Kathy, and children Lori Orr, Grant, and James Stewart.

submitted Jun. 10, 2017 3:41P

all notes/obituaries: