Share your latest news with fellow Broncos.

Class Notes | Obituaries

Submit a Class Note or Obituary »

Showing obituaries submitted in last 6 months


Bertram W. Depew

Bertram Ward Depew ’42 was born on June 24, 1921, in Sacramento, California, to Frank Healy Depew and Agnes Ward and was raised with three siblings. After high school Bert graduated from SCU with a degree in mechanical engineering. He worked for General Electric for 11 years and started his own company, Heat Engineering and Supply Company, in 1953. Bert was also a consulting engineer for companies in Ukraine and India. He enjoyed fishing, poker, dancing, and woodworking. He also served as president of the Republican Club and of the Glendora, California, school board for several years. He passed away on Jan. 16, 2018, at 96 years old. Bert was preceded in death by his first wife, Margaret; parents; sisters Ethel and Louise; and brother Al. He is survived by his wife Jane Depew; children Suzanne, Elizabeth, and Sallie; grandchild Kyle (Melissa); and great-grandchildren Duncan and Kate.

submitted Mar. 14, 2018 12:14P


Raymond Tikvica

Born on November 27,1919, in Sunnyvale, when the town’s population was 3,000, Raymond Tikvica ’43 graduated from the old Cupertino Grammar School in 1933. He graduated from Bellarmine College Prep in 1937. He attended SCU and was drafted into the Army in 1942. In 1943, he graduated from Officer’s Candidate School and became an Officer in the artillery division as an instructor. After the war, Raymond returned with his brother and continued in the farming business. At one time, they farmed over 800 acres of apricots, cherries, prunes, walnuts, and strawberries. When Santa Clara Valley became Silicon Valley, the family started selling their farms and building commercial properties, which they still own. He was a longtime member of the Sunnyvale Lion’s Club, Palo Alto Elks, St. Martins’ Church, the Bronco Bench Foundation, and Santa Clara County Planning Commission. Besides his occupation, he loved to travel. He started when he was 17 years old, and that passion never ceased. He and wife Jackie traveled to Europe many times on the Concorde and returned on the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, and QE2. Ray always said traveling was an education in seeing different people and different cultures. Ray and his brother visited agriculture throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, and Australia because ranching was their occupation, and they wanted to see foreign operations. In 1968, his brother Nick and Paul Mariani flew around the world some 32 thousand miles, visiting farm operations. The three brothers truly enjoyed their ranching occupation. Ray passed away on Dec. 27, 2017, He is predeceased by brother Lester Tikvica, son Jeffrey Tikvica, and Jackie Tikvica, his wife for 60 years. He leaves his sister, Irene, brother, Nick Tikvica, many nephews, nieces, and many grand nephews and nieces.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 11:09A


UGRD Leavey Business '44
John P. Matheu

Born on Feb. 21, 1922, John Prendergast Matheu ’44 was raised in San Francisco, the third of Katherine and John P. Matheu’s four children. He attended St. Brigid Elementary School, St. Ignatius High School, and SCU, where he was a quarterback on the football team and a rower. His college education was interrupted by World War II, during which he served his country as an aerial observer in the 11th Armored Division of General Patton’s army in Europe. He participated in the Battle of the Bulge and was present at the liberation of the Mauthausen-Gusen concentration camp. On his return to the U.S., he completed his degree at Santa Clara and shortly thereafter met the love of his life, Helen France, whom he married in 1948. Their daughter, Kathleen, was born the following year. John joined Pfizer in sales and marketing, and the family moved to Los Angeles, where daughters Christine and Rochelle were born, and then to Chicago, where daughter Jeanine was born. Their final move in 1959 was to Short Hills, New Jersey. John worked at Pfizer headquarters in Manhattan, New York, as national sales manager and was then named vice president of the pfipharmecs division in 1973. After 35 years, he retired from Pfizer and started his own consulting business in the pharmaceutical and medical device field, developing a number of startup companies, including Puri-Tek, and partnering with like-minded colleagues who became lasting friends. He was involved with his own business for over 30 years, working up until the last year of his life. He loved the challenge and camaraderie his work gave to him. John and Helen spent 66 loving years together, raising their family, enjoying the company of their grandchildren, traveling, hosting innumerable family celebrations, and attending cultural events in the region. John happily served as patriarch of the family, always advocating the great importance of family to one’s well-being. He was loved by his family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues for his generosity of spirit, his storytelling, his fine cooking, his sense of humor, and his great fortitude. John passed away peacefully on Feb. 9, 2018 at 95 years old. He was predeceased by his beloved wife, Helen, his daughter Rochelle Matheu Dempsey, his sisters Maureen Matheu and Patricia Stamps (Al), and his sons-in-law William Cohen, Kevin Gaynor, and Scott Boyll. He is survived by his sister, Eleanor Matheu, his daughters Kathleen Gaynor, Christine Matheu, and Jeanine Boyll; his stepson Brant Miller (Lila); son-in-law Thomas Dempsey; and his grandchildren Jillian Dempsey (Alex), Elizabeth Dempsey, Scott Dempsey, and Laurel Cohen; and his great-grandson, Orin Matheu Dempsey Miller.

submitted Apr. 9, 2018 1:47P
Henry Garric

Henry Garric ’44 was born in San Francisco in 1921 and moved to Glen Ellen when he was 3 years old. He had an idyllic childhood as part of a large extended French family that ran a resort on Henno Road. He attended Dunbar School, Sonoma High School, and SCU before working as a draftsman at Boeing Aircraft in Seattle, Washington, and then enlisting in the Army. He served World War II in the European theatre of operations in the Army Corps of Engineers, 182nd Engineer Battalion. Henry returned from the war, married Bette Garrison of Sonoma, and raised his two children on the family chicken ranch on Henno Road. Later Henry worked for Carnation Feed Company and ran Mr. Eds, a wholesale farm supply company. He loved ranches and ranchers and made many friends as he served his customers along the North Coast. Henry and Bette loved their family, gardening, and travel. In retirement they returned many times to France and attended the Garric family reunions in Aveyron. Although he was a quiet man, Henry loved speaking French at every opportunity. After Bette’s death he continued to travel to France until his last trip at age 88. Henry was blessed to rekindle love and affection with his high school sweetheart, Heloise Tomasini. They were married in 2010 and spent eight beautiful years together. Loving family and friends surrounded him at home as he died peacefully in his sleep on Jan. 20, 2018, in Nicasio. Henry is survived by his loving wife, Heloise Tomasini Garric and her children; his devoted daughter Lynn Garric; grandchildren Sylvie (Eric) Shawn and Rémi Langbehn; loving caregiver Nadia Maiwiriwiri; and many treasured cousins and friends.

submitted Mar. 7, 2018 1:47P


Robert Ferioli

A longtime resident of Sunnyvale, Robert F. Ferioli ’46 joined ROTC in 1941 while at SCU. He was in active duty in the Army Air Corps from 1943 to January of 1946. Bob met Gladys Nunes at SJ College, and they married in June 1946. They were happiest while having adventures traveling through 68 countries and sharing time with family and friends. Bob, the consummate storyteller, delighted children and adults with his lively tales. After three years as a farmer in Yuba City, California, he had a successful 41-year career as a salesman and branch manager for Burke Industries and Tarkett Flooring. Bob died peacefully on Dec. 1, 2017, surrounded by his loving family. He was 94 years old. He is survived by his wife, Gladys, his daughters Carol Ferioli-Moe and Laurie Ferioli, and his grandson, Christopher Moe.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 12:38P


S. Robert Infelise

Known affectionately to many as “Dr. Bob,” Robert Infelise ’49 was born in Hollister to Clara Guerra and Frank Infelise. He attended San Benito High School and junior college. He served as a photographer in the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII and graduated with a bachelor’s from SCU. He did graduate work at San Jose State, Stanford, and Santa Clara before getting his doctorate in education at Brigham Young University. A lifelong educator, Bob started his administrative career in Union City, California. Later he served as the superintendent of Gilroy Unified School District for 12 years. After a run for state assembly and work overseas, he returned to the central coast as the superintendent of Carmel Unified School District. Known as the “Supt de Jour” for his many interim superintendent positions around Monterey County, including MPUSD, Bob also served on various boards, councils, and as an administrative consultant to various school districts in California and American schools in Europe, the Middle East, and Mexico. He had a deep commitment to the Monterey Peninsula community and served as the executive director for Community Health Plan. He also served for many years on the Monterey Peninsula College board of trustees as well as the Carmel Valley Chamber of Commerce and was a founding member of the International School of Monterey. Bob was an avid golfer and loved to travel with his family (he was a loving husband and father) as well as listen to Sinatra while cruising along the ocean. He passed away of natural causes on Jan. 11, 2018, and is survived by his wife, Bobbie, and their two children, Renee and Monica, as well as son Peter Infelise, daughter Bethann Chabolla, and their children. The family would like to thank Steve Bagby for taking Bob golfing and on trips down the coast, as well as the Del Monte staff for their compassionate care. Special thanks to Jack Gyves, Vance Baldwin and Marvin Biasotti for their visits and stories that continued to engage Bob and make him smile.

submitted Mar. 7, 2018 2:11P
Joseph Crowley

Loving and vibrant, Joseph John Crowley ’49 had a legendary sense of humor. He liked nothing better than causing someone to laugh—or better yet, to believe one of his incredulous stories. The many who knew and loved him miss those fabulous yarns and infectious laugh. Joe was raised in San Francisco and attended Commodore Sloat Elementary School and Lowell High School. It was in San Francisco that he met the love of his life, Betty, whom he remained married to for 67 years. Joe attended UC Berkeley, the University of Texas at Austin, and SCU, playing varsity basketball throughout. His education was interrupted only by World War II, in which he served proudly as an officer in the United States Navy. As and exceptional athlete, he was honored to be part of the All-Navy basketball team, competing against other branches of the military, and as a result, entertaining and increasing the morale of his fellow service members. Following college, Joe worked as an engineer, and with his partner, soon opened his own company, Relco Insulation. After retiring from Relco, he spent the rest of his life with Betty in Sonoma and Reno, Nevada, with family always nearby. Of all his accomplishments, his family was by far the one of which he was most proud. He led his family passionately, and his wife, children, in-laws, and grandchildren loved him back just as fiercely. Joe passed away following a long illness, just one month after his beloved wife and lifelong partner, Betty. His four children, Karen Lauer (Dale), Denise Vessie (Craig), Joe Crowley (Lisa), and Kim Crowley survive him. He also leaves behind his eight grandchildren, Joshua, Danie, Lauren, Casey, Emma, Kaitlin, Jack, and Mia, as well as one brand new great-grandchild, Riley. He was predeceased by his brother and best friend, George David Crowley.

submitted Mar. 6, 2018 12:53P


Thomas Clarke

Thomas Henry Clarke ’50 was born on April 29, 1925 in San Jose at O’Conner Hospital and was a lifetime resident of Saratoga. He served with the 70th Infantry Division in the Anti-Tank Company of the 274th Regiment during WWII. Henry attended SCU and later owned and operated Clarke Co. Plumbing and Heating in Saratoga. After selling the business, he worked for and then retired from the Saratoga Union School District. Henry was a member of the Saratoga Fire Department from 1946 to 2002. He passed away on Jan. 2, 2018, and is survived by Madeline, his wife of 66 years; his children, Tom, Joanna, Maryellen, Jim, Joe, Doug, and their spouses; 14 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.

submitted Jan. 16, 2018 12:51P


Harry Boyle

Harry Herbert Boyle ’51 was born to Henry Boyle of Maryland and Mary Jorgensen of Copenhagen and grew up in San Francisco. In January 1946 he enlisted in the Army and served in Tokyo under General Douglas MacArthur. It was in Tokyo that he converted to Catholicism. Upon discharge, he went home to San Francisco and attended SCU before moving to Los Angeles to finish college, living for a time in Santa Ana, where he was a reporter for the Santa Ana Register. He earned his Ph.D. in English from UCLA and taught at the University of Arizona in Tucson, but returned to California and ending up in San Diego, which is where he met his second wife and lived for nearly 40 years, teaching English at various colleges. In 2014 the couple retired to San Juan Capistrano, California. Harry’s mother graduated from nursing school in 1905 and subsequently worked for the U.S. Department of the Interior as a nurse on Indian reservations in the Dakotas. Later she joined the Army and worked in China. Always fascinated by her stories, Harry remained interested in indigenous issues. His favorite charities were those that benefited Native Americans. An avid hiker, Harry’s favorite summer vacations were spent backpacking in the High Sierra. He died on Dec. 18, 2017, just 19 days shy of his 90th birthday. Harry had no siblings but is survived by four children and one grandchild from his now-deceased first wife, Gianna Di Girolomo: Henry Robert Boyle and Brynn Elizabeth Boyle, and Brynn’s son, Dameon Ivory Boyle—all currently of Berkeley; Ann Marie Boyle of Los Angeles; and Mia Katherine Boyle of Seattle, Washington. His second wife, Donna Rodman, his stepdaughter, J. Lisa Allen, and his step-grandchildren, Cooper and Kate, all of San Juan Capistrano, also survive him.


submitted Apr. 4, 2018 11:43A


UGRD Engineering '52
Watt Clinch

Watt Clinch ’52 was a third-generation Californian who was born in San Francisco. He graduated from St. Ignatius High School in 1947 and from SCU with a degree in mechanical engineering. Watt joined the United States Naval Reserve in 1955 and was honorably discharged in 1965 with a rank of lieutenant. Watt joined PG&E in 1958 after his discharge from active Navy duty and worked there for the rest of his career, nearly 29 years in jobs that took him and his family to communities throughout Northern California. Watt developed many meaningful and long-lasting friendships at PG&E that endured right up until the end. It was at PG&E that he met Claire, the “beautiful girl in personnel,” and they were married in 1959 and raised three children. They were both devoted parents and grandparents who, in retirement, relished taking the entire family on a family cruise and Hawaiian vacation. They also lavished heartfelt attention on their beloved little Lake Tahoe cabin: While Watt meticulously cared for the building, Claire decorated the home-away-from-home with secondhand furniture and quirky decorations. They loved spending time at the cabin, and were even happier when the children and grandchildren found enjoyment there, too. Watt was taken to heaven on Nov. 23, 2017, to be together again with his beloved wife of 54 years, who passed away much too soon in 2013. His children, grandchildren, and friends all mourn the loss of a special husband, father, grandfather, friend and colleague. Watt is survived by his three children and ten grandchildren: Brian (Amy), Max, Erin, Neil, Sam, and Logan; Katie Martin (Jim), Danielle, Nicole, and Sonny; and Kevin (Gini), Madeleine, and Rowan.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 2:01P
Thomas McDermott

Thomas Joseph McDermott ’52 was a son to Betty and Thomas McDermott and a brother to Larry, Jack, and Mary. As a “GM Jr.” Tom grew up in many places but considered Janesville, Wisconsin, home. He graduated from SCU with a business degree and a fond memory of being on national television as an SCU yell leader at the Orange Bowl. Tom married his college sweetheart, Kathleen Ann Wilson, on Aug. 22, 1953. As a Navy lieutenant, Tom served aboard the USS Rochester and cruised the Pacific Ocean while based in San Diego. After his military service, he joined General Motors, where he was an accounting supervisor. Tom moved his family to Goleta, “The Good Land,” in 1969, and joined the ranks at Delco Electronics. After his retirement in 1991, Tom poured his time and passion into volunteering at Villa Majella and Cottage Hospital in both the NICU and ER. From rocking to sleep a preemie newborn, helping hospital staff, or eating in the hospital cafeteria, Tom found his niche. The Tri County Blood Bank, Terri Toon Foundation, Boy Scouts of America, and the St. Mark’s University Parish were communities of which he was not only an active member but also a devoted volunteer. A prince among men, Tom passed away due to complications from Alzheimer’s on Nov. 30, 2017, surrounded by his family. He is dearly missed by his wife, Kathleen; sons Tom and Brian; daughters Molly and Maureen; daughters-in-law Margrethe and Lynne; and sons-in-law Ralph and Bob. His 11 grandchildren and great-grandson were his No. 1 fans!

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 1:35P


Thomas Crosby

A longtime resident of Orinda, Thomas Conway Crosby ’53 was born in Bishop, California, on July 13, 1931, the second son of Eugene and Gladys Crosby. He attended Bellarmine High School and SCU, where he graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering in 1953. While at Santa Clara he married the love of his life, Barbara J Lutzow. They were married for 53 years until Barbara passed away in 2004. Tom retired from Bechtel, San Francisco, after enjoying a career spanning nearly 40 years. He was chief mechanical engineer for the mining and metals group and became engineering manager for the infrastructure group. He worked around the world on major projects, from gold and diamond mines in South Africa to copper mines in Papua New Guinea and desalination facilities in Saudi Arabia. He set up Bechtel’s first office in the People’s Republic of China in the 1980s. Tom was respected for his engineering skills, in addition to his warm and caring personality, and was active in Santa Maria Church. With his love of woodworking, he made furniture for the Chapel at Santa Maria, including the altar and reader’s stand. He also crafted furniture, cabinetry, and anything his family would like. Additionally, Tom loved fishing, working on his old cars, jigsaw puzzles, and spending time with his family. He passed away peacefully on Jan. 27, 2018, and is survived by Thomas and Cindy (daughter-in-law) Crosby of Danville; Ann Sanderson (daughter) and Stan Sanderson of Nevada City, California; Margaret Zeiger (daughter) and David Zeiger of Pleasant Hill; Daniel and Susan (daughter-in-law) Crosby of Walnut Creek; eight grandchildren, Benjamin and Paul Crosby, Betsey Friedmann (Zeiger), Kate and Bonnie Zeiger and Nicholas, and James and Matthew Crosby; and three great-grandchildren, Dylan and Wells Crosby and Eleanor Friedmann.

submitted Feb. 16, 2018 2:24P
Kenneth Nardinelli

Kenneth Nardinelli ’53 was born to Matt and Emma Nardinelli on March 28, 1931, in Woodland, California. He went through the Woodland school system, graduating in 1949. After graduation he accepted a football scholarship to SCU, where he played football and baseball, graduating with a business degree. After playing one season of professional baseball, Ken spent the next two years as a lieutenant in the Army Artillery Division. In 1953 he met the love of his life, Franie Matulich. They were married in 1955 and spent over 62 wonderful years together. Upon his return to Woodland he worked in the family business, Woodland Plumbing and Hardware. After 20 years in the family business Ken went to work for his good friend Gene Luhdorff. When Gene sold the business, Ken went to work for W. P. Wilson & Sons until he retired at age 75. In 1961 Ken took up golf and could be found playing at the Yolo Fliers Club most weekends. He had the distinction of being the only golfer at the Yolo Fliers Club to score a birdie on every hole, both left- and right-handed. Ken was always involved in sports—as a participant, coach, official, announcer or broadcaster—and was never far from competition. He passed away on Feb. 10, 2018, at Woodland Memorial Hospital from pancreatic cancer. He is survived by his wife, Franie; son, Dave; sister, Marge Locke; grandchildren, Alison (Nick) Jessen and Jennifer; great-grandson, Hudson Jessen; sisters-in-law Kathy Souza, Margie (Dick) Wagner, and Carol Matulich; and many cousins, nieces, and nephews.

submitted Mar. 14, 2018 1:31P
Harold Alphonse

Harold Alphonse ’54, JD ’60 was a prominent Santa Clara County family law attorney. To honor him, his family kept his obit short: “He would yell at us for spending any money on something like this.” Harold passed on Jan. 17, 2018. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Patricia Alphonse, his children, Lisa (Eric) Melendez, Ann Alphonse-Kadish, and John (Kimberly) Alphonse, and his grandchildren, Jessica, Jared, Timothy, D.J., Annalisa, Dagen, and Owen.

submitted Mar. 12, 2018 11:40A


Richard Akin

Richard Ellsworth Akin ’54 was born on Oct. 17, 1932, in Placerville, California. He was the firstborn of Leo and Gladys Akin, with brother Ed following 18 months later. Born of pioneer stock, Dick was the fourth generation to make Placerville his home; three of his great-grandparents settled in the new state of California just after the gold rush. The Akin ranches in the Gold Hill area have been home for the family ever since, and have been continuously farmed by the family for over 160 years. Growing up on a producing pear ranch meant a lot of hard work for brothers Dick and Ed, and both learned a strong work ethic. Summers on the ranch as teenagers meant long days, especially during the summer harvest season. Ed and Dick took turns delivering the precious Akin pears and peaches to the Fruit House in town for further delivery to destinations unknown. Even amongst the hard work, there was always time to travel and for exploration of the country. As a young man, Dick enjoyed travel in the family car seeing many of our country’s sights along the way. This travel spurred his wanderlust at an early age. After graduating from El Dorado High School, Dick went on to SCU, receiving a Jesuit education and graduating with a bachelor’s degree in biology. While attending college, Dick developed a yearning to spread his wings, and his lifelong passion for aviation was born, which he shared with his children, and later his grandchildren. After graduating from college, Dick joined the Army and served eight years as a pilot. He flew both the Bell H-47 helicopter and the L-19 birddog aircraft, flying patrol along the border between southern Germany and Czechoslovakia. While posted in Regensburg Germany, he fell in love with a beautiful German girl, Erika, who would become his wife for 58 years. After leaving the Army, he signed on at TWA in 1963 as a flight engineer on the Lockheed Constellation in the golden age of aviation. Dick went on to fly the Boeing 707 and 747, and when he retired after 28 years of international travel, he was flying the Lockheed L1011, his favorite airplane. He continued flying small airplanes after retirement and loved to give rides to his friends, showing off his beloved county. Dick always had a very creative mind with a bent toward engineering. He loved to tinker with energy conservation and creation. This became most evident during the gas crisis in the 70s as he installed diesel engines in his Chevy El Camino, in his Jeep and in several of his kids’ Chevy Vegas. He loved the ability to make things work more efficiently. In 1978, he began working on his own hydroelectric power plant, using the power of the water at Hangtown Falls in the Cold Springs area. In 1981, the power plant spun to life and produced 130 kilowatts of electricity, enough to power about 30 homes. Close behind his love for airplanes, farming, and hydroelectricity was his love for all things water. His father, Leo Akin, and grandfather Daniel Akin both served on the board of directors for EID, and Dick followed suit, serving from 1994 to 2003. He often said that it was the development of water supply that has always made the foothills location the success that it is. He learned more about the EID watershed than most any other person and regularly flew friends, family, and other EID members over the watershed, showing them the lifeblood of these water sources. During his tenure on the EID board, he was instrumental in securing the Project 184 water system and hydroelectric plant, which is now named in honor of the family. In 1994, Dick felt that growing wine grapes was something for which the family ranch was particularly well suited, and he planted 20 acres of cabernet and merlot grapevines. He worked tirelessly in the vineyard in his “retirement” years, producing about 100 tons annually of some of El Dorado County’s finest grapes. But above all of his varied interests and pursuits was his love for his family and his heritage. On Jan. 3, 2018, Richard Ellsworth Akin passed away peacefully at his home surrounded by his family. He lived a very full 85 years. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Jenny (Jeanne) Akin Leineke; and is survived by his wife of 58 years, Erika Akin, three children, Robert (Bob), Elizabeth, and Patricia (Trish), 11 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren.

submitted Jan. 16, 2018 12:42P
Edwin Gregory Abate

Edwin Gregory Abate ’54 was born in San Jose, the son of Richard Abate and Vivian Panopulos Abate. Growing up in a modest family, Ed’s early years included being an altar boy at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, working at his mother’s coffee shop, and spending his summers working at Falstaff Brewery. Upon graduation from Bellarmine College Preparatory, Ed attended SCU, earning a B.S. in biology. He went on to Saint Louis University, graduating in 1958 with a D.D.S., and was recognized for his scholastic excellence in operative dentistry, earning the Mosby Scholarship Book Award. While in dental school, he met and married the love of his life, Judith (Stengel). Ed enjoyed every minute of his 55-year dental practice in San Jose and cared tremendously for his patients, devoted staff, and colleagues. Throughout his dental career, which started in Guam while serving in the U.S. Navy, Ed pursued advanced professional development, specializing in reconstructive and neuromuscular dentistry, successfully helping many patients with temporal mandibular jaw pain. He was also a member of the Santa Clara County Dental Society, serving as president from 1978–79. Ed and Judy were devoted to nurturing a loving family. He had great love of supporting his four sons in all of their endeavors. He pursued his passion for auto racing by becoming an amateur sports car road racer, winning the SCCA National Championship in 1977 and competing at the 24 Heures du Mans in France. He also enjoyed the mellower things in life—cruising in his boat, building a garden railroad, and planting flowers at his Monte Sereno home. More than anything else, Ed maintained that his success was through hard work and grit. Among many other things, he was blessed with incredible determination and a keen eye for detail. Ed passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Dec. 8, 2017. He is survived by his loving wife of 60 years, Judy, and was a very committed father to sons Edwin Abates ’81, Gregory, Martin and Chris. He was a proud Papa to his grandchildren, Emilie Abates ’10, Abbey, Oliver Abates ’15, Evan, Michael, and Audrey. He is also survived by his brother and best friend, Richard Abate Jr. Ed was a loving and devoted son, husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend to all.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 12:06P


Mary R. Cahalan

Born in San Francisco on Dec. 9, 1933, to Margaret Bannan Abrahamsen and Gunlek Olavus Abrahamsen, Mary Abrahamsen Cahalan ’56 graduated from Mercy High School in 1951, before earning a B.S. in chemistry from Dominican College in 1955. Following graduation, Mary enjoyed working as a lab technician at UCSF. She married Donald Joseph Ruder on May 30, 1959. Together they raised five children in Menlo Park and Atherton and enjoyed an active retirement until Don’s passing in 1995. Mary was happiest surrounded by family and friends, and she was a wonderful hostess to many a gathering under her roof. She was a devout Catholic and was very active in the Church and the neighborhood, treasuring her many close friends from both communities. Mary was a masterful organizer and was a valued volunteer and great supporter of the Nativity School and Church in Menlo Park, Bellarmine College Preparatory in San Jose, and SCU, where she served on the Board of Regents for several years. Mary also contributed many hours toward fundraising efforts benefitting the Ronald McDonald House at Stanford Children’s Hospital. Mary and Don were also members of the Menlo Circus Club, where she played bridge and Don played tennis a few times a week. She served enthusiastically on the club’s membership committee, as she truly enjoyed socializing with active and potential members. After a brisk romance, Mary wed longtime family dentist Gerald Edward Cahalan in 2001, and the two had several happy years together before Gerry’s death in 2004. For the last three years of her life, Mary was cared for compassionately by Rose Arellano and her staff at Gardens Senior Care in San Jose, and by the caregivers from Vitas Hospice. She died peacefully on Feb. 28, 2018, after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. Mary is survived by her children, Ed (Lisa), Phil (Lisa), Megan (John) Martinelli, Joe (Steve Pace), and Gun (Junko); 15 grandchildren; her three siblings, Terry Clark, Phil (Marcia) Abrahamsen ’61, and Laurie (Carol) Abrahamsen ’65; and many nieces, nephews, and cousins.

submitted Apr. 10, 2018 12:34P
UGRD Arts & Sciences '56
Duncan Fife

Duncan Fife ’56 was a member of the Dynamic Class of ’56! After grad school in Los Angeles, California, the military in Oklahoma, and working in radio and advertising in New York City, he spent the last 40 years living in Foster City, entertaining and performing, raising five children, staying happily married for 48 years, and welcoming two grandchildren to the family. He recently finished writing two memoirs, Giving the Gift of Giggles: Incredibly True Confessions of a Singing Telegram Entertainer and Giggling at Life: Very True Tales of a Very Lucky Life, both available on Amazon. He died on Jan 2, 2018.

submitted Feb. 9, 2018 8:30P


Lindsay Mann

Born in Panama City, Panama, on Nov. 11, 1936 to Henry Lindsay Mann and Rosaura Mann de Obarrio, Lindsay Alfred Mann ’58 received his B.S. summa cum laude from SCU. He received his master’s and Ph.D. in English from the University of Illinois at Chicago. In 1965 he was appointed assistant professor of English at UC Davis. In 1971 he accepted a position as professor of English at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, where he taught for 30 years. He moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, in the 1990s, where he resided until his death on Dec. 24, 2017. Lindsay was a thoughtful, generous, and intellectual man with an insatiable thirst for knowledge. He was a complex character with passionate convictions, a brilliant mind, and an empathetic heart. Lindsay leaves behind four children, Kenneth Mann, Deborah Mann-Hebert, Katherine Mann-Lantz, and Rebecca Mann; five grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and many more family members and great friends. He was predeceased by his parents and only sibling, Teresa Guevara Mann.

submitted Jan. 16, 2018 1:11P


Joseph M. Golden

Joseph “Joe” Michael Golden Jr. ’59 of Ormond Beach, Florida, was born on May 21, 1937, in San Francisco to judge Joseph M. and Lorraine (Hamilton) Golden Sr. He was a graduate of Christian Brothers High School in Sacramento, California, and SCU. He retired after 45 years in international banking. Joe was a reserve police officer and captain in Campbell for ten years and was awarded the honor of “Reserve Officer of the Year” in 1967. He was a member of the Navy League of the United States, the board of directors of the California Manufacturers Housing Association, and the National Marine Bankers Association—and a 65-year member of the Olympic Club of San Francisco. Joe served as president of Guam Bankers Association and was awarded the ancient order of the Chamorri by the Guam Legislature for his service to the community. He served the governor of Guam on the Persian Gulf Coordination Committee. Joe also served on many boards, including the board of trustees of the Good Hope School of St. Croix USVI and the board of directors of the Merced Symphony. He was a licensed commercial pilot and certified helicopter operator, had an extensive music collection, and was an avid traveler throughout his lifetime. Joe passed away on May 15, 2012 at his home. He is survived by his beloved wife of 52 years, Ione McIver Golden of Ormond Beach; three daughters, Veronica A. Golden of Maynard Massachusetts, Maureen A. Golden and son-in-law Scott J. Black of Nipomo California, Joanna L. Golden and son-in-law Douglas N. Rice of Miami, Florida; by his son, Joseph M. Golden III and daughter-in-law Julie of Peachtree, Georgia; and grandchildren Micaela Krauss, Sloane Tavish, Javan Breton, Broghan Rice, Jennah Jillian, Joseph M. Golden IV, and Mackenzie Black; sister-in-law Mary McIver of Lexington Massachusetts and brother-in-law Gaston Tessier of Burlington, Vermont; and many nieces and nephews.


submitted Jan. 10, 2018 2:15P


William C. Miller

William C. Miller ’60 passed away on Feb. 8, 2018. He is survived by his wife, Claire McKay Miller, and his immediate and extended family.

submitted Mar. 14, 2018 1:17P
UGRD Leavey Business '60
Terry Hornback

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the death of Terry Hornback ’60 of San Jose, who passed away on May 30, 2015, leaving to mourn family and friends.

submitted Apr. 9, 2018 12:23P
Leslie Edwin Powers II

Leslie “Les” Edwin Powers II ’60 was born on Sept. 12, 1938, and was the son of Barbara Leider Powers and Leslie “Lefty” Powers, a professional baseball player with the San Francisco Seals, Philadelphia Phillies, and New York Giants. Les grew up in Santa Monica, California, and graduated from and played baseball at St. Monica’s and SCU. He started his career working for Statistical Tabulating Corporation and went on to work for Computer Sciences Corporation. He and wife Kathy relocated to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and Sydney, Australia, before calling Pacific Palisades home. He had a successful career in the hospital information systems industry and was always a charming presence, smiling and loving life. Les was an exceptional athlete who took great pride in cheering on his children and grandchildren in their athletic endeavors, a loyal fan through and through. He truly loved his wife, and his joys in life were golf, cars, reading, spending time at the Bel Air Bay Club, and making quality memories with his family and friends. A true gentleman, Les had a great sense of humor and was full of life. Les died peacefully on Dec. 8, 2017, after a courageous battle with cancer. He is survived by Kathy, his devoted wife of 49 years; his loving children, Michelle (m. J. Taylor Browning), Lindsay (m. Todd Rosoff), and Stephen Powers; his adoring grandchildren, Leslie, Hudson, Summer, Kennedy and Camden; along with his siblings, Barbara Powers Dail and Susan Powers Knybel; and many extended relatives and friends. He will always be remembered for his kindness, warm smile, and the twinkle in his eye.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 1:11P
GRD Law '60
John "Jack" Dawson

John “Jack” Dawson J.D. ’60 was born in Seattle Washington in 1935. He graduated from Seattle University in 1957, and in June he married Lynn Loudon (his wife of 60 years). They traveled to the Santa Clara Valley, where Jack pursued a degree in law, graduating from SCU School of Law, having been the youngest person in his class. Jack and Lynn settled in Los Gatos, where they raised their three children, Kerry Hughes ’83, John, and Brett. As a practicing attorney in Campbell, he was actively involved in rotary and the Campbell Chamber of Commerce, of which he held various roles, including president at the age of 28. He continued his involvement with the community through his coaching in local youth sports. Those sports included football, basketball, and baseball. Jack relished competition and preached sportsmanship above all else. He served as president of his local country club (La Rinconada) in 1997, a place he enjoyed while trying to play golf as often as possible. Jack was a recognized authority on bankruptcy law and was highly respected by those judges in front of whom he regularly appeared, both in federal and state court. This success led to him being noticed by large firms who continuously sought to hire him, but he maintained his independent practice. Jack was active among SCU alumni and served on the SCU Board of Fellows. He passed away on Dec. 10, 2017, at the age of 82. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Mary Mullane and Nora Mullane, and his brothers, Joseph Tyson and Michael Mullane. Jack is survived by his wife, Lynn; Children Kerry Hughes ’83 (Jim Hughes ’82), John, and Brett (Katherine); grandchildren Megan (Steve), Ryan, Dorian (Trevor), Logan, and Keely; and great-grandchildren Avery and Noah, brother Terry Mullane and sisters Kathy Thompson, Molly Beyer, and Nancy Mullane; and many loving nieces and nephews.

submitted Jan. 8, 2018 2:31P
GRD Law '60
Harold Alphonse
see year 1953
Viewing 1-25 of 81 (page 1 of 4)
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next | last

all notes/obituaries: