Opened in 1931, it was named after Aloysius Varsi, S.J., who left revolutionary Italy in 1848, joined the Santa Clara faculty in 1864, and went on to serve as the University’s sixth president. The building and its furnishings cost $52,000 at the time it was constructed; that was all the president of the University had been authorized to spend. Varsi Library housed 120,000 volumes and served as the University Library until the 1960s. Now Varsi Hall is home to offices and classrooms. But the legacy of the library lives on: Four gorgeous wooden tables from Varsi now serve as reading tables in University Archives and Special Collections.