Santa Clara Magazine is published in print for alumni and friends of the University. It is updated weekly on the web.
Fr. Gerald P. Sullivan, S.J. on May 15, 2010 in Regis Infirmary, Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, Los Gatos. He was a Jesuit for 60 years, a priest for 41. Gerry was born in Sacramento on July 26, 1931. He was raised in San Francisco until the age of six when his family moved to Redwood City. He graduated from Bellarmine College Preparatory, San Jose, and entered the novitiate at Los Gatos on August 14, 1949. After receiving his B.A. and M.A. in Philosophy at Gonzaga University, Gerry taught chemistry and mathematics at St. Ignatius College Preparatory, San Francisco, 1956-58 and chemistry at Brophy College Preparatory, Phoenix, 1958-59. He studied Theology at Alma College, Los Gatos, 1959-63, and he was ordained a priest on June 8, 1962. Upon completion of his studies, he returned to Brophy, where he taught art appreciation and religion, 1964-67. He then joined the Religious Studies department at Santa Clara as lecturer, 1967-68. Gerry came from a family of artists but assumed that, as a Jesuit, art could be no more than a hobby. He was delighted to find out that he could pursue his interests on a professional level. Gerry was accepted at the highly selective Art Students League of New York, where he studied under William Barnet and Robert Beverly Hale. In 1971 Gerry received his MFA and returned to Santa Clara University as a member of the Art and Art History department. He served as Department Chair, 1974-80 and retired as Senior Lecturer in 2009. Gerry worked in a variety of media, including oil, acrylic, and watercolor. He exhibited his work in a number of individual and group shows at the de Saisset Museum, the Triton Museum, and other venues. Among his work is the 8 x 24 foot acrylic on canvas mural, "The Valley Now and Then," depicting the history of the Santa Clara Valley. Commissioned by the Irvine Foundation in 1996, it now hangs in the University library. He also designed and executed the ceramic decorations for the St. Clare Chapel and Mausoleum at Santa Clara Mission Cemetery. Due to declining health, Gerry moved to the Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, where he continued to pray for the Church and the Society. May he rest in peace. Gerry was preceded in death by his mother and father, Mary and John; his sister Margaret Mary; his brothers, John and Kevin; his sister-in-law, Sally; and his nephew, Mark. He is survived by his loving brother, Tom; sister-in-law, Angela; nieces, Mary, Christine, Karen, and Carrol; nephews, John, Kevin, and Stephen; and their respective families.