Santa Clara Magazine is published in print for alumni and friends of the University. It is updated weekly on the web.
Edward Alvin Lafranchi ’50 died unexpectedly on Feb. 5, 2014, of a massive cerebral hemorrhage. He was a long time resident of Livermore and one the earliest employees of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Ed was a devoted member of the St. Michael Catholic Community. A long time member of the Knights of Columbus, one of the original Lectors and later Eucharistic Ministers, he was responsible for training new volunteers in these duties until his death. At various times, he chaired the Parish Council, was President of CCD, later led the legacy fund to build the parish education center Ed enjoyed golfing, except when he couldn’t hit the ball; attending the 49er games but only when they won; tasting good wines, always; deer hunting with his family; playing bridge and most especially sharing a cocktail every evening before dinner with his beloved wife Ann. He was born in Petaluma, Calif. on July 23, 1928 and raised in Nicasio on his family’s dairy. He attended Nicasio elementary school, graduated from St. Anselms High School, and later from Santa Clara University with a BS in Electrical Engineering. Upon graduation in 1950, he went to work for Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. He enlisted during the Korean war, spending 1951 to 1953 in the US Air Force. Upon discharge, he resumed his job at Berkeley, transferring in 1953 to Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. Ed held numerous positions at LLNL, eventually retiring as Deputy Associate Director of the Engineering Department in 1991. Ed is survived by his wife of 59 years, Ann (nee Rogers), his three sons Bruce (Judy) of New York, Mark of Walnut Creek and Paul (Mary Jo) of Torrance, four grandchildren Brian, Brendan, Daniel Lafranchi ’14 and Melissa, and a large extended family. He was the son of Fridolino and Zelma (nee Dolcini) and was predeceased by his siblings Estella, Wilfred, Henry, and Arthur Lafranchi ’58.